Recommended Trips > School House Road to Pensioner Pond
Island Pond – Ten Mile Square Road (view in map)
This scenic section is a great introduction to the Clyde River. With convenient shuttling services provided by Clyde River Recreation, it is well suited for beginners and families seeking to spend 2-3 hours on the water. The river meanders peacefully through a shaded floodplain forest comprised of silver maple and white cedar.
NFCT Section: Map 6
- Trip Duration: 2-3 hours
- Miles:5.5 miles
- Portages: None
- Hazards: Occasional down tree
- Put in: School Street Road (please note that parking is NOT allowed here as it is a location for a dry hydrant. Your options: 1) Park your car at Clyde River Recreation and take advantage of their affordable shuttling services. 2) Park at the school to the west of the access. 3) Launch 1.5 miles to the east in East Charleston.
- Take out: Pensioner Pond Fish and Wildlife Access, or Clyde River Recreation.
- Local Outfitters: Clyde River Recreation
- More Info: Island Pond and The Upper Clyde Itinerary