Moosehead Lake to Umbazooksus Stream
This section is characterized by dramatic features and a rich history. Moosehead Lake is the largest lake in Maine, boasting the striking Mt. Kineo. Thoreau traveled this section of the NFCT, writing of his trip in the posthumously published "The Maine Woods". The historic Katahdin steamship was used for logging until the 1970's and today provides summer cruises. The Northeast Carry was used for centuries by Abenaki and early white settlers to access the West Branch Penobscot River. In the historic Chesuncook Village on Chesuncook Lake – accessible only by boat or float plane – paddlers will find amenities to ease their trip through the wilderness.
MAP CONTROL TIPS
• Use the drop downs above the map to load section data
• Use the section drop down to view a section in detail
• Use the services drop down to view services by category
• Use the Photo and Video checkboxes to show/hide user submitted media
• Click the icons for more information
GOOGLE MAP CONTROL TIPS
• Use the slide bar to zoom in/out
• Double click to center the map
• Drag the map using your mouse
You can view your trip planner items at any time by opening up this tab. Once you're finished, click the "Print Trip Planner" button to print your personalized trip planner.