Black Flies

Home Forums Paddlers’ Place Hitting the Trail Black Flies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    markaroberts
    Participant

We will be paddling section 1 next week, May 16-19. The park service told us the black flies are out. How bad are they? Has anyone paddled during black fly season? What do you suggest?

kdaanen

Perhaps sleeping in the open in the lean-tos may be out. Have you paddled the BWCA during black fly season? I wouldn’t expect it to be much different. Open water and breezy points will be fine. Wet trails, not so much. I wouldn’t cancel a trip over it. Just make sure to carry a little 100% Deet and headnets in your packs.

kdaanen

@kdaanen 241 wrote:

Perhaps sleeping in the open in the lean-tos may be out. Have you paddled the BWCA during black fly season? I wouldn’t expect it to be much different. Open water and breezy points will be fine. Wet trails, not so much. I wouldn’t cancel a trip over it. Just make sure to carry a little 100% Deet and headnets in your packs.

Just to clarify–I haven’t paddled this section in May, but have been in the BWCA when black flies were out.

markaroberts
    Participant

we are treating outer wear with Permethrin and bringing head nets. We have done the BWCA many years, but always go in early May or mid September when there are very few flies. Apparently they come earlier in Old Forge then in Minnesota. . .and its been warm the past couple of weeks there. We are still going. Temps are supposed to drop which should help some.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.