Hammock havoc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sololoon

I am planning to through paddle the NFCT in 2014 and am wondering if it is possible to do it with a hammock rather than a tent? On occasion I have ‘hung’ my hammock w/o trees, but its certainly not ideal and is only moderately annoying if done infrequently. I’m traveling mostly solo, so any weight I can save in my pack will be greatly beneficial. Thanks for any advice!

kdaanen

If you are an experienced hammock camper, I don’t think you’ll have any issues. Chris Gill sometimes uses a hammock and has sectionally paddled most of the trail. I’m sure he’ll have more to say.http://gilltrips.blogspot.com/2008/08/nfct-old-forge-to-long-lake.html

Chris Gill

If I were to do the trail by myself I would use a hammock. The only time I had any trouble was on the Demo Rd Portage between Long and Moosehead Lakes. I ran out of daylight and was in the middle of a huge logging cut and had difficulty finding two trees big enough to support the hammock, I think you’re unlikely to have a similar issue. I’ve heard several stories about people who had a bad nights sleep because they couldn’t find level, rock free, spots for thier tents so a hammock may be a better choice.

I tried to run though the trail in my mind and the only place I can think of where there might be an issue is in some of the fee based campgrounds. You will probably so some gorilla camping and a hammock will probably be a big help especially if it blends in well. Having a hammock has enabled me to sleep in some pretty cool spots with great views. When I solo I sometimes eat dinner and then paddle another couple of hours to set up camp at dusk, in the morning I leave early and stop later for breakfast.

Good luck with the planning and don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Sololoon

Thanks for the advice! I’m rarely nervous about finding a spot when out in the woods, but going through more populated areas made me pause. It’s great to hear that I should be able to hang just about anywhere.

Chris – your blog is terrific. The only problem I’ve had is that it don’t last me through the winter – I’m reading it too quickly!

I’m building my first cedar strip canoe in Jan. My plan is to first test it on the open waters of Moosehead Lake, paddling up into Allagash Lake then all the way up to Allagash Village. I’m hoping this will give my new canoe (and me) a taste of a little of everything before heading out on the full trail in 2014.

Chris Gill

Thanks,

The “more populated areas” are not very big so you shouldn’t have much trouble finding places to camp between them especially with a hammock.
    look here for some more NFCT reading:

http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/Paddler-2/Paddler-Blogs-73

Look at Google Earth and follow the trail looking at the pictures, make sure the photos layer is on.

I would love to have the time do do your trip in one push, it should be fantastic although you’ll miss Mud Pond Carry. Allagash stream will be fine as long as the water levels are high enough. Get a good set of wheels. You might want to consider an extra layer of glass on the bottom of your strip boat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.