Planning a paddle on sections 12 & 13

Home Forums Paddlers’ Place Hitting the Trail Planning a paddle on sections 12 & 13

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ipaddle4fun

Hello crew,

I’m putting together a ‘mock’ trip for a training class that I’m taking (the Sierra Club). It seems that May is going to be the best time for water and lack of black flies. I would like to hear from those that have done these sections (Allagash). Looking to hear about temps for May, head nets required? Length of the trip and difficulty and things to look out for. I’m reading through the guide book and will be getting maps for these sections.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris Gill

Bugs start at leaf out, mid to late May. Early May would be a good time to go, I would bring head nets just in case. I did section 12 and 13 two years ago and we had frost on June 16 so be prepared for any weather.

You’ll be paddling some big lakes and the wind can be an issue. Many folks plan short days, in the event that they lose a day to wind they can make it up later by paddling longer for a day or two.

ipaddle4fun

Thanks, Chris.

I hear that the end of the season (Aug/Sept) can be pretty low water, right? Are there any land permits needed? Licences outside of fishing?

Chris

Team Moxie

End of May good…..early May up there may still have ice. I’m really guessing though. I live in Southern and know May is iffy in the Allagash although you probebly will beat the bugs…..well some of them. I came through there in July. Bring cash in this area. You’ll have to pay Rangers, and for portage (Chases rapids) also any stores or restaurant only take cash. You may think you won’t go to any of these places but you will. Also always plan extra time up there. Winds can hold you still for days…..exspecially in May. Water is very cold so be prepared to portage any rapids you don’t want to get wet in. Air temps in May can be 50’s mostly, to 70’s during the day but can drop down as far as 30’s at night, Bring ample food supple. Nowhere to resupply for quite a few days up there. guide book will help with that. And don’t get stepped on by a moose….they’re everywhere up there (Joking, they won’t step on you) Good luck to you with your class and maybe someday you can paddle the whole thing, We did, this summer. It’s an epic trip!

Chris Gill

@ipaddle4fun 43 wrote:

I hear that the end of the season (Aug/Sept) can be pretty low water, right? Are there any land permits needed? Licences outside of fishing?

Chris

http://www.northmainewoods.org/fees.asp It will be $20.00 per person per day for adults. The shuttle is about $180.00 for a car. Bring cash for fees and make arrangements for a shuttle ahead of time.

erikpieh

@Chris Gill 45 wrote:

http://www.northmainewoods.org/fees.asp It will be $20.00 per person per day for adults.

What section does the $20/person/day apply to? Does it apply to thru paddlers? Is it only for staying at certain campsites?

Chris Gill

You should check with the NFCT to be sure. the fees definitely apply to the Allagash, Chamberlain Lake to the end of the waterway at Twin Brook. I’m almost certain they apply to the West Branch Of the Penobscot(map 11) all the way to Chamberlain as well. If you enter the NMW via a road checkpoint you will pay there and they’ll give you a receipt. If you don’t pay at an entrance checkpoint a ranger will collect your fees. The chances of you getting buy without seeing a ranger are very very slim. I pay the fees happily, they’re used to manage the waterways, maintain roads, and pay the ranger’s exorbitantly high salaries 🙂 I’ve had nothing but good experiences with the rangers and NMW employees that I’ve met.

I did paddle the West Branch once and never saw a ranger so I got by without paying a fee, I did have the money with me. I’m not sure but I think they only accept cash.

erikpieh

Thanks for the info about the fees, I hadn’t heard about that yet. I’ll make sure and bring plenty of cash with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.