Virtual Speakers Series
The Northern Forest Canoe Trail’s Virtual Speakers Series features interactive discussions with a variety of speakers, including NFCT staff and volunteers, waterway stewards, business partners, paddlers, guides and more. Presentations are hosted on Zoom and simulcast on our Facebook page. Participants interact with presenters during Q&A sessions both live and in chats.
NFCT will update this space regularly as new installments are scheduled! If you have a topic you’d like to present, send an email to [email protected].
Please note that all times are EST.
- 7 pm Wednesday, April 13, 2022: “An Upstream Paddle of the Lamoille River,” with David & Kelsy Morganwalp. What were two NFCT thru-paddlers to do when the Canadian border was closed due to COVID? Paddle the Lamoille River upstream and down the Black River of course! David Morganwalp will talk about his experience of paddling the Lamoille River in Vermont upstream during his 2021 thru-paddle of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail (NFCT) with his daughter, Kelsy Morganwalp. Hear about their challenging 5-day, 71-mile paddle from Lake Champlain to Hardwick Lake in this virtual presentation. Click here to watch via Zoom.
Watch past presentations:
- March 23, 2022: “The Onondaga Canoe & Kayak Club Paddles the Adirondacks,” with Hickory Edwards. Hickory Edwards is the founder of the Onondaga Canoe & Kayak Club (OCKC), a nonprofit organization created to relearn the ancient water trails that were once common knowledge to our native grandfathers. During the summer of 2021, he and a crew of fellow adventurers from OCKC paddled from Old Forge to Lake Champlain on the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. This is just one journey of many since he started sharing his passion for the outdoors with anyone who wanted to come with him 14 years ago. Hear about the trip and the work in this virtual presentation. Click here to rewatch Hickory’s presentation!
- Feb. 17, 2022: “Books, Blogs and Videos: Resources That Inspire Adventure on the NFCT,” with Katina Daanen. Winter is the time many of us are dreaming of — and researching — our next adventure. Join Katina as she discusses and reveals insights of both known and hidden resources available to prospective NFCT through-paddlers. You’ll learn about a new FarOut app in the works and updates being made to her guidebook. Participants will also be invited to share any resources they have found useful. Katina completed a second through-paddle of the Trail this past summer and is the author of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail Through-Paddler’s Companion guidebook. Click here to rewatch Katina’s presentation!
- Dec. 15, 2021: Join Noah Pollock in a conversation about the legacy of our stewardship work and to help identify our priorities going forward. Click here to rewatch!
- March 18, 2021: Noah Pollock and the NFCT’s stewardship program. Click here to rewatch Noah’s presentation!
- April 1, 2021: Paddling the NFCT, downstream: a conversation with Thru-Paddlers Mack Truax and Maggie Gremore. Click here to rewatch Mack and Maggie’s presentation!
- April 29, 2021: Planning and preparation for cold water paddling; take a virtual early-spring paddling trip with life long paddler Russ Ford and talk gear with Jean Nielson from NRS. Click here to rewatch the presentation!
- May 13, 2021: Conversation with Brian McDonnell: a life of paddling and the legacy of the Adirondack Watershed Alliance. Click here to rewatch the conversation with Brian and Danny!
- May 27, 2021: The Hard Path to Wilderness: a virtual trip with retired Allagash Wilderness Waterway Supervisor Tim Caverly from Allagash Lake to Allagash Falls. Click here to rewatch the conversation with Tim!
- June 10, 2021: Matt Burnett on Guiding & Paddling with Kids. Click here to watch our conversation with Matt!