Waterway Stewards keep the 740-mile Northern Forest Canoe Trail open year after year. Volunteers adopt a section of the NFCT that is between a half-day to a full-day’s paddle, or approximately ten miles.
Waterway Stewards are the eyes and ears of the trail, reporting damage from flooding or vandals and the need for large-scale work projects. Stewards generally visit their segment twice during the paddling season (preferably spring and fall) to do general upkeep such as:
- replacing missing or damaged signs
- clearing portage trails of blowdowns or overgrowth
- picking up trash
- maintaining paddler campsites
For their efforts, Waterway Stewards receive the following:
- Annual NFCT Membership
- NFCT Map that their section is in
- Camaraderie with a very unique group of individuals
- Better understanding of their section of the NFCT
- Good paddling karma!
If you have a section that is close to your home, near and dear to your heart, or you just want to help maintain this beautiful resource, contact Noah Pollock to get involved. Sections up for “adoption” include:
- Raquette Lake to Forked Lake (Secondary steward): Campsite and portage trail monitoring and maintenance.
- Missisquoi River (Richford-East Berkshire): Maintaining the Davis Park Access and kiosk, the Doe Campsite, and the East Berkshire landing.
- Lake Memphremagog (Perkin’s Landing to Canada border): monitoring condition of our kiosk in Newport and the Eagle Point Campsite.
- Clyde River (Island Pond to 10 Mile Square Road): Island Pond Kiosk, NorthWoods Landing Campsite, old dam portage, and the clearing of down trees.
- Nulhegan River (Nulhegan Pond-Wenlock): Maintaining the Clyde Pond to Nulhegan Pond carry, and the Wenlock crossing access, clearing down trees.
- Gord’s Corner Store to Stark: Removal of down trees, maintenance of access at Gord’s Corner Store and a take-out above Stark.
We are looking for additional stewards to support the work of existing stewards for the following sections, as they are fairly remote.
- Moose River, Spencer Rips to Attean Landing: Campsite and portage trail maintenance along a section of the Moose Bow loop.
- Spencer Lake-Moose River: Maintaining the portage around the Spencer Dam, and the portage between Fish Pond and the Moose River.
The map below shows sections of the NFCT. Click on a segment to learn who has adopted it. The sections in red are in need of volunteers. Thanks!