Help steward a 740-mile waterway that traverses New York, Vermont, Quebec, New Hampshire, and Maine!
Three Stewardship Interns will help complete projects across the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. Interns will work together alongside other NFCT staff and volunteers as a Stewardship Crew to complete a variety of campsite, river access, and portage trail development and maintenance projects along the trail corridor. Interns will have the opportunity to coordinate and lead a waterway work trip, cultivating leadership and team-building skills.
- Duration: June 7th—August 13th
- Field-based, full time (40 hours/week)
- $3,000 ($300/week) stipend
- Food provided during work week
- Trainings in paddling skills, timber and stonework, erosion control, leadership, volunteer management, and more!
- Base camp in Waitsfield, VT for days off, with a communal kitchen, loft, tent space
- Reimbursement for work-related travel in personal vehicles
- Academic credit can be arranged
- To build competence in trail work, erosion control, and stewardship techniques
- To help complete hands-on, meaningful public access projects
- To practice teamwork, leadership, and volunteer management skills
- To obtain experience that helps prepare interns for a future career in conservation, natural resources management, or related fields.
- 19 years of age by the time the internship begins
- Willingness to camp in remote locations
- Enthusiasm for physical work and outdoor living
- Experience working in a group setting
- Solid work ethic
- Valid driver’s license
Strong applicants will have an interest in a career in conservation, recreation, and related fields and some prior experience living and working outdoors.
Questions: Contact NFCT Stewardship Director at [email protected] or (802-496-2285 x2)
How To Apply: Complete the Stewardship Intern Application Form, and submit along with a resume and three references. Please note that this is a google form based document. A word version of this application (to complete offline and then copy and paste your responses) is available here. Applications due on Monday, March 1st.
- 2020 Stewardship Season Photos
- 2019 Stewardship Season Photos
- 2018 Stewardship Season Photos
- 2017 Stewardship Season Video
- Selected Intern Blog Posts