‘Round the Mountain Canoe & Kayak Race
The ‘Round the Mountain Canoe & Kayak Race is an Adirondack favorite, taking place annually on the second Saturday of May — the unofficial kickoff event of the Adirondack paddling season. This year’s race will take place Saturday, May 8.
Due to restrictions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 installment of the ‘Round the Mountain will look a little different. Masks and social distancing will be required at the start and finish lines. Please note the following:
- Registration will be exclusively online.
- Race class options are the same as for the 90-Miler. See listing here.
- Participants will need to submit a health check survey certifying that they are in compliance with New York State COVID guidance along with contact tracing information prior to participation. A health check survey will be sent to participants on Friday evening and must be returned by 8:00 a.m. on Saturday.
- Participants will need to pick up their registration packets at the Saranac Lake Civic Center at 213, Ampersand Ave, Saranac Lake, NY — please note that pick up will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 10:30 a.m.
- The first heat will start at 11 a.m. at the Ampersand Bay Resort, located at the foot of Ampersand Ave on Lower Saranac Lake. Parking will be limited.
- We encourage you to do a pre-race car shuttle to the finish line at the Riverfont Park on Lake Flower in Saranac Lake. Race organizers will not provide transportation.
- The race course begins at Ampersand Bay. Paddlers head west on Lower Saranac Lake to the mouth of the Saranac River across from Bluff Island. The course continues down river, with a short carry around the lower locks, then to Oseetah Lake and ending at Lake Flower. Race distance is approximately 10.5 miles. All racers must use the carry; a safety count team will be there taking boat numbers. The carry is a designated walk zone due to trail conditions.
- Entry fee is $30 per person. Northern Forest Canoe Trail Members receive a 15% discount.
- Permanent numbers for NYPRA members will be honored. Temporary numbers will be issued to non-NYPRA members.
- Every racer must wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved personal floatation device (PFD). This PFD must be worn at all times. Failure to comply will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee. Please note: Any coastguard approved inflatable PFD satisfies this requirement, ensuring that a PFD will not restrict performance.
- Awards will be presented to the top three finishers in each class. Due to COVID safety protocols, we will not hold an awards ceremony. Results will be posted to the NFCT website immediately following the event.
Join the 90+ people who are already participating! Click here to register.
To comply with New York State COVID guidance only 150 people can paddle – register today before we sell out!