2020 Waterways Mapping Project
In 2o20, the NFCT will be hiring two “GIS interns” to help with our mapping work. Interns will work as a team to help develop maps water based recreational assets along the waterways of our canoe trail and adjacent waterways. Interns will
- Collect GIS data on water based recreational resources, including access points, campsites and portage trails, rapids, and dams.
- Prepare a GIS data of trail attributes for use in a “Trail Ap” under development.
- Complete field work to ground truth sites and develop trip descriptions
- Update maps and online resources that guide users on water based explorations
- Experience using GIS software, ability to learn Adobe Illustrator
- Enthusiasm for outdoor recreation, basic paddling skills
- Valid drivers license
- One intern will need access to a personal vehicle
- Office and field based. Interns will have access to an office and campsite in Waitsfield, VT. Interns will also travel through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine to collect additional field data.
- June 8th-July 24th.
- $300/week stipend ($2400)
- Reimbursement provided for work related travel in personal vehicles
- Trainings provided on paddling skills, cartography, site assessment
- To build competence in data collection, GIS analysis, cartography
- To practice paddling, teamwork, writing, and communication skills
- To obtain experience that helps prepare interns for a future career in environmental conservation and related fields.
To get a glimpse of what it is like to be a GIS Intern for the Northern Forest Canoe Trail, check out the following blog posts:
Making Magnificent Maps (Ben Abramson)