It was a year ago that the world had to adjust to a new reality because of the COVID-19 pandemic. For us, that meant canceling film festivals, races, community paddles and other long time traditions — difficult decisions, sure, but the right ones to keep people as safe as possible. We’ve come a long way since this all started, and with more and more people getting vaccinated and the numbers looking better, we’re excited about reconnecting with friends old and new this paddling season.
But we’re not out of the woods quite yet. That’s why we’ve teamed up with NRS to put together the Virtual Speakers Series to get us pumped for paddling. Each event will be simulcast on Zoom and Facebook. Participants will be able to interact with presenters during Q&A sessions both live and in chats. NRS, as our premiere event sponsor, will provide door prizes, which will be raffled off the following day. Anyone who makes a donation to NFCT in association with the presentation will be eligible to win.
The schedule is still in flux and more details, including Zoom links, will be added soon. Each event begins at 7 p.m. Eastern Standard Time and will last approximately 90 minutes.
- Ongoing: Paddling Film Festival; watch anytime! Sponsored by Outdoor Gear Exchange. Click here to get your tickets!
- March 18: Noah Pollock and the NFCT’s stewardship program. Click here to rewatch Noah’s presentation!
- April 1: Paddling the NFCT, downstream: a conversation with Thru-Paddlers Mack Truax and Maggie Gremore. Click here to rewatch Mack and Maggie’s presentation!
- April 29: Planning and preparation for cold water paddling; take a virtual early-spring paddling trip with life long paddler Russ Ford and talk gear with Jean Nielson from NRS. Click here to rewatch the presentation!
- May 13: Conversation with Brian McDonnell: a life of paddling and the legacy of the Adirondack Watershed Alliance. Click here to rewatch the conversation with Brian and Danny!
- May 27: The Hard Path to Wilderness: a virtual trip with retired Allagash Wilderness Waterway Supervisor Tim Caverly from Allagash Lake to Allagash Falls. Click here to rewatch the conversation with Tim!
- June 10: Matt Burnett on Guiding & Paddling with Kids. Click here to watch our conversation with Matt!
To make a gift in support of this series and the NFCT, use the button below.